Ben's Secret Pizza Sauce Recipe
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tube unsweetened double concentrate tomato puree
- 2 tsp (approx) chopped dried oregano
- 2 tsp (approx) chopped dried basil
- 3 tbsp (approx) sugar
- splash of olive oil
- Put tomatoes, olive oil, oregano, basil and tomato puree in a saucepan over a medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Add half the sugar, then liquidise the mixture. I use a stick blender for this, but a normal blender will do the job fine.
- Allow the mix to gently bubble on a low heat for 30 minutes or so. Cover the pan if you can, because it will splatter everywhere.
- Taste, and add more sugar if required. We much prefer this very sweet, but it can seem overwhelming until you've tried it on a pizza.
- Leave to gently bubble for another 10 minutes or so. I tend to make the sauce while the dough proves, so ~45 minutes in total gives a reasonable amount of time for the flavours to mix.
You'll only need a thin coating on a pizza, so this should be enough sauce to cover a couple of big pizzas.
You can freeze any that's left over to reuse later.