Mailman is a really useful tool for managing POP3 email accounts. Mailman allows you to manage your email, while it is still on the server, so you don't even have to download your mail to delete it. Mailman also gives you chance to preview messages without downloading the full message. This can be very useful if you are on a slow connection, or receive large files through email.
UPDATE: 14th January 2002
Moved mailman from the lame sharkware site onto my own. There will be no further active development by me, although when I get the time, I'll probably end up releasing it as open source. If anyone wants any crap VB source, anyway.
Please bear in mind that this is beta software, and will not be as stable, nor have all the features of the final version. Check back regularly for new releases.
Updates Since Beta 4
A lot of work has gone into beta 5, to correct bugs, add new features, and improve overall efficiency. Improvements over Beta 4 include:
- Problems with handling sorted messages have been fixed.
- Mailman now responds while downloading messages, instead of locking up.
- Mailman now includes a progress update when downloading messages. This will probably be improved in the final release.
- A few other minor bug fixes and changes, including interface improvements
- Online help is now finished, and included.
Most of the issues from the last beta have been corrected. There are a couple of issues here that may be corrected, but do not pose any real problem.
- Viewed messages are shown as raw source text. There will be no formatting applied to the message. This feature may be added to future versions.
- Mailman doesn't support saving of messages. This is because Mailman is not designed to replace your existing email client, but work alongside it.
- Handling of lack of dialup connection still isn't handled brilliantly, but will soon be improved.
- Autochecker info is included in the help file. If the autocheker is reintroduced, then the info will be valid. If not, it will be removed.
OK, you know the drill by now. Ben Charlton provides absolutely no warranty with this software. I cannot and will not be held responsible for any loss of data, materials, property, sanity, business, money, or losses of any kind caused by using this software. You are using it at your own risk. If you do not agree with this, then don't download it. This software is the copyright of Ben Charlton.
The new version is compatible with the previous datafiles, so should not require accounts to be set up again. For best results, uninstall any previous versions of Mailman you have installed. The datafiles will be left in place. You may need the VB6 Runtime files.
Download Mailman (918 KB)
To install mailman, extract the files from the zip archive, and run the setup.exe file to install.
Download VB 6 Runtime Files (1 MB) Just download and run. These are the official Microsoft runtime files.